Cloth Pad Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk?

3 posters

Go down

Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk? Empty Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk?

Post  marieisabella Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi All-

I have been fortunate in my endless search to luck out and find this nice lady who had a bunch of pads she no longer needed, most used a couple times. She gave me a great price, from what brands she had the cost of them would have been well over $70 if I purchased new, but is it okay to use someone else's pads?

I searched everywhere for info and found nothing really, so wondering if anyone knows.
It seems it is just a personal preference but I thought I would ask to see if someone can tell me, if anything to ease my mind.

Is there anything I can use to clean them to ensure no bad bacteria is there?

I am an eco friendly chick who loves vintage and used clothing, I even got a bunch of Victoria secret bras at my local flea market! but this is definitely the first time I am purchasing something so intimate.

Any insight is much appreciated,Thanks!
marieisabella
marieisabella

Back to top Go down

Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk? Empty Re: Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk?

Post  Obsidian Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:50 am

Umm, I don't know... Smile

It's probably too late now (sorry)... but soaking them in a sanitising solution should kill most bacteria and nasties.
Obsidian
Obsidian
Admin

http://www.obsidianstar.com.au

Back to top Go down

Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk? Empty Re: Using another's Cloth Pad/Health Risk?

Post  wireni Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm

I think it should be okay.

There is a big market for used cloth diapers, and people wouldn't want to put their babies' health at risk. And poo contains many more bacteria than menstrual blood, and babies have a much weaker immune system.

I have also seen on a forum a trade of used menstrual cups! Although they might be easier than cloth to get really clean, as they are made of silicone.

The really nasty viruses die when exposed to air just within seconds.
(Most) bacteria die when they didn't have food and water for a while (like on a dry, clean cloth).
Only yeasts are quite hardy, but washing on hot should kill them. You can use a hot iron, too. For peace of mind you could wash the pads with oxygen bleach or 3% hydrogenperoxide. I have read tea tree oil kills fungi, but I don't know how much you would need.

I make my own pads, so I don't have personal experience with "preloved" pads. If it would be my lover's underwear, I would not have a problem with it. The idea of used cloth pads feels a bit weird to me, but rationally I don't see a reason not to do it. I bet back when there were no disposables, familiy members shared their "rags" sometimes, too.

wireni

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down